Correctional System Negligence

Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and humanely, even those who have been committed – rightly or wrongly – to a jail, prison, or other correctional facility.

If you or a loved one was injured or died while in a prison, a jail, a juvenile detention center, or even police custody, you have a right to learn the circumstances surrounding the personal injury or death.  And in some cases of negligence, you may have a right to file a lawsuit.

If you have committed a crime, you should be punished.  But being in prison does not give the system the right to deprive you of necessary medical attention or inmates the right to rape you. 

The Harman Law Firm stands up for victims of abuse in correctional facilities.

Inmates in prisons, jails, and juvenile detention centers are not free to seek their own medical care. Therefore, the correctional facility is responsible for providing appropriate medical treatment.

Unfortunately, inmates’ medical needs are sometimes neglected – sometimes due to innocent mistake, but other times due to something more sinister.  Inmates may be assaulted by guards or other inmates.

  • Some inmates have suffered serious, life-threatening infections because of unsanitary conditions.
  • Still others are injured when inmate transport vehicles are driven carelessly.

In these cases, the correctional facility may be liable for catastrophic injury, medical malpractice, or wrongful death.

Speak with an attorney experienced in correctional system negligence and issues.

Government facilities in the Atlanta and Augusta areas have certain immunities from lawsuits that private facilities do not.  In many circumstances, however, Federal and state “Torts Claims Acts” allow injured victims to recover damages from correctional facilities.  If you or a loved one was injured or died while in a prison, a jail, a juvenile detention center, or police custody, you should speak with an attorney who is experienced in this area.

Contact the attorneys of the Harman Law Firm or call us at (404) 554-0777 or fill out the form at the top right of this page.